This semester included the roll out of the infographic assignment inside of an online MSW Foundations course. At the start of the semester, I went through the syllabus and explained the assignment at lengths. This included videos that were made by Dr. Hitchcock, Dr. Sage and myself to assist learners with further information on the assignment.
There were times that learners appeared very clear and up to the challenged of creating infographics that advocated for a particular cause. Weeks 3-5 of classes, Blackboard went down and students were not able to have access to the LMS. Unfortunately, this was the first semester that I decided to use the LMS without supportive platforms such as Google (communities/drive/Hangouts). Once the students didn't have access to their assignments and more they became frustrated and started to panic. It was apparent that they could not access the material through another platform because I had not taught them.
This semester was one of trial and error. I failed in areas that included of providing alternative methods to access course content. Also, I taught the foundation students like they were advanced standing. Therefore, I noticed many areas of improvement during this semester for teaching. My plan for the spring semester includes: Weeks of planning and having the courses set up two weeks in advanced with very detailed and clear explanations which includes dates and more. To use the Blackboard course messages for communication, with responses within 24-48 hours along with a questionnaire for students to complete on course content only.
At the end of the Fall 2017 semester, my course evaluations took a hit that I was not expecting in one of four classes. It disappointed me, but also urged me self-evaluate in efforts to make changes. I am eager to roll out new methods of teaching during spring 2018.